Oakwood Cemetery is a cemetery full of life! On any given day we may have walkers, joggers and visitors from around the country or world. We love having folks come in and enjoy this scenic and sacred ground.
We welcome folks as they enjoy a stroll on their lunch break, but we also schedule tours tied to the history and landscape of this historic ground during the day and evening hours.
- Civil War Tour — highlights the Confederate cemetery at Oakwood, which was the original cemetery and the final resting place of over 1,400 Confederate soldiers.
- Monument Art & Symbolism — every stone has a story, sometimes about the era it was made and sometimes about the person it memorializes. Our Monument Art & Symbolism routes stop at both older and more recent graves so we can see how the “stories in the stone” change over time.
- Raleigh History
- North Carolina History
- Women’s History
- Love on the Rocks — Love Stories
- UNC or NC State University Tours
- And much more! We can create tours around your specific needs!
Our Speakers Bureau covers many informative topics and we love to take the cemetery on the road! Please contact Robin Simonton at 919.832.6077 for further information on scheduling one of these programs. There is no cost for any of our programs, though donations to Historic Oakwood Cemetery are greatly appreciated.
***Historic Oakwood Cemetery is private property, and all visitors are asked to respect the privacy of our families and their family members buried here. While still an active cemetery, we do encourage the general public to visit Raleigh’s cultural gem.