The threat stirred to activity all the loyal citizens of the town, and preparations sped up for their removal to the Soldiers’ Cemetery, even while the grounds were being prepared. The work was done almost entirely by young men of the city who fought side by side with their fellow comrades, a labor of love. With picks and wheelbarrows they were assisted by women relatives walking by their side. In that early day, 1867, they moved 494 from Rock Quarry Cemetery, 20 from the city cemetery, 14 near Henry Mordecai’s, eight from Wake Forest, six from Camp Mangum (current site of the State Fair and Meredith College), two from Camp Holmes, and one each from Chapel Hill (a young Alabama lad), Mrs. Price’s farm and Flowlet’s farm (last two locations currently unknown).
In 1871, 137 bodies were removed from Gettysburg and reinterred in the Soldiers’ Cemetery. In 1883, 107 dead were removed from National Cemetery at Arlington and laid to rest in two mass graves in Oakwood. Beginning in the late 1800s, veterans from the Soldiers’ Home were transferred to the cemetery. In 2010, there are 1,388 Confederate and two Union Soldiers buried in the Soldiers’ Cemetery in Oakwood.
Charles E. Purser, “A Story Behind Every Stone”
The Scuppernong Press, 2005